Gmail, also known as Google mail, is a free e-mail service from Google. Even a few years ago, you needed an invitation from a friend to open an account with Gmail. However, you can now open an account on your own. Here are the steps to open an account with Gmail.
Steps to Create an Account
- Visit this URL and click Create an Account, as shown below.
- In the Create a new Google Account page, enter the following information:
- Name: Enter your first and last name.
- Choose your username: The username you type will be known to others as your Gmail e-mail ID. Typically, a Gmail ID would look like email@example.com. You can use numerals and special characters.
- Create a Password: Choose a password which will be difficult to guess and are at least eight characters long. For example, you can choose a combination of alphabets, numerals and special characters. Typically, as you type your password, Gmail will indicate whether the password is strong enough.
- Confirm your password: Re-type the password you have chosen.
- Birthday: Enter your birthday.
- Gender: Select your gender.
- Mobile phone: Enter your mobile phone number. Google may use your mobile number to notify you in case something unusual happens in your account.
- Other email address: Enter a different email address. Google will use this address to notify you in case something unusual happens in your account.
- Type the two pieces of text: Type the characters shown in the above graphics.
- Location: Choose your country of residence.
- Select the check box to agree to Google’s terms and conditions.
- Click the Next button.
- In the Create your profile page, click ADD PROFILE PHOTO to add your photograph. This step is however, optional.
- Click Next Step to have your Gmail ID created.
- Click Continue to Gmail to start your association with Gmail.
Tips to Remember
Security of your email ID is of primary importance and you need to follow certain best practices to guard your confidential data against unauthorized attempts. Gmail has a secure encryption technology and that secures your data well. Still, you need to keep in mind the following steps to protect your data:
- Choose a cryptic password which cannot be guessed easily. Do not, for example, choose your name as password.
- Change your password periodically.
- When you are providing an email address in the step Other email address, make sure that you access the email ID often.
- Do not share your password with anyone.
- If you are unable to access your account, visit the URL (https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?service=mail&passive=true&rm=false&continue=https://mail.google.com/mail/ca/&ss=1&scc=1<mpl=default<mplcache=2&hl=en ) click the Can’t access your account? link and enter your email address.
So now enjoy your new Gmail account, one of the most safe and fast web mail which now gives you more than 7GB of disk space to use for your emails and attachments. Never loose your Gmail account and make it secure with alternate email id and mobile number. Happy mailing!